One of the best ways to celebrate your new marriage is to play the newlywed game! Whether with a group of friends or bored alone in the house, testing how well you know each other through the newlywed game is a funny and romantic way to grow closer.
However, when you know someone better than anything, coming up with questions to ask can seem like a daunting task. Below, we list plenty of newlywed game questions in a variety of topics. By diving deep into some of these topics, your new marriage will gain new depth through a laugh or two!
What Is the Newlywed Game?
Popularized by the 1960s game show, the newlywed game is relatively simple. The basic premise is to ask the couple a series of questions that will reveal how well they know each other.
You may want to put these questions in different categories and give each category a point ranking, as they did on the TV show, but that’s not really necessary.
There are different variations of the newlywed game, but the basic premise is that each member of the couple answers the first round of questions about themselves, then you ask the couple what they think the other person said.
The questions can range from fun facts about their lives before meeting, to memories of their relationship, to their likes and dislikes.
Couples often play the Newlywed game at wedding or bridal showers, engagement parties, and at other pre-wedding events!
How to Play Newlywed Game
There are a few different ways to play, depending on how many other people are there. If you’re playing with another group, you could have your friends write down the questions, the couple gives their answers, and then your friends ask them back to the couple, comparing what you think your partner said and keeping score.
If you’re playing alone, you’ll need several pieces of paper. One of them should list the questions, with separate pieces of paper listing each person’s answers that you keep hidden from each other. Then, you can keep score on a fourth piece of paper.
Newlywed Game Questions
The most important part of the newlywed game is obviously the questions. The questions are what will make or break the game!
Try to pick ones that you think will be specifically hard for the couple. If you’re playing in a group setting, it’s also good to ask the couple what topics they’re comfortable with, as the newlywed game can get rather personal and risque.
Below, we list 128 questions in 9 different categories for you to enjoy!
- How did you and your partner meet?
- Who asked the other out first?
- Where did you go on your first date?
- What was your partner’s first impression of you?
- Where did you take your first trip?
- When did you first meet each other’s families?
- When did you make it “official”?
- How long did you date before getting engaged?
- When did you move in together?
- What date was your partner’s favorite?
- What was your worst date?
- When did you have your first fight?
- When was your partner most embarrassed in front of you?
- What is your happiest memory of your partner?
- When were you angriest with your partner?
- What made your partner pursue you?
- What is the best meal your partner ever cooked for you?
- What is the most unique activity you did together?
- What is your partner’s favorite food?
- What is your partner’s favorite movie?
- What is your partner’s favorite hobby?
- What is your partner’s favorite time of year?
- What is your partner’s favorite holiday?
- What is your partner’s favorite TV series?
- What is your partner’s favorite genre of music?
- Who is your partner’s favorite musician?
- Who is your partner’s celebrity crush?
- What is your partner’s favorite book?
- What is your partner’s favorite color?
- What is your partner’s dream travel destination?
- What does your partner do to unwind?
- What is your partner’s favorite animal?
- What is your partner’s dream job?
- What is your partner’s favorite dessert?
- Where did your partner grow up?
- Where did they go to elementary school?
- What are their parents’ names?
- What is your partner’s middle name?
- What is their favorite childhood memory?
- Who was their childhood best friend?
- What was their favorite childhood movie or TV series?
- What was their favorite subject in school?
- What was your partner like in high school?
- What did your partner study in college?
- Where did your partner go to college?
- How much of your partner’s extended family can you name?
- What was your partner’s favorite childhood toy?
- What was your partner’s first job?
- When did your partner know they wanted to marry you?
- When did you first talk about marriage?
- When and where did you/your partner propose?
- Did you like the proposal?
- Who wore the pants in wedding planning?
- What aspect of the wedding did your partner like best?
- What aspect of the wedding did your partner like least?
- Whose wedding vows were better?
- Who cried more at the wedding?
- Who danced more?
- Who drank the most?
- Whose bachelor/bachelorette party was crazier?
- Who caught the bouquet/garter belt?
- Is there anything about the wedding day that your partner would change?
- Who picked the honeymoon destination?
- What was the best day of the honeymoon?
- What was the worst part of the honeymoon?
Spill the Beans
- Who is the better kisser?
- Who is better in bed?
- What is your partner’s favorite sexual position?
- Who kissed who first?
- Who initiated sex first?
- How often do you and your partner have sex?
- Would your partner like to have sex more or less?
- What adjective would you use to describe your partner’s sexual style?
- What would your partner change about your sex life?
- What does your partner find attractive about you?
- What turns your partner off?
- What is your partner’s biggest fear?
- What is a time you have hurt your partner’s feelings?
- What are your partner’s relationship dealbreakers?
- What is your partner’s biggest insecurity?
- What is your partner’s biggest worry in your relationship?
- What is your partner’s central motivation in life?
- What was the hardest time in your partner’s life?
- Has your partner’s heart ever been broken?
- Does your partner have a hard time trusting others?
- How would your partner feel if you ever broke up?
- What does your partner dislike most in your relationship?
- What would your partner’s life be like if they never met you?
Learning Each Others Habits
- What time does your partner wake up in the morning?
- What time does your partner go to bed at night?
- What does your partner take in their coffee?
- What does your partner eat for breakfast?
- Which one of you is the better cook?
- How clean is your partner?
- How often does your partner do laundry?
- What’s an ideal weekend day look like for your partner?
- How often does your partner brush their teeth?
- How often does your partner shower?
- How often does your partner exercise?
- Is your partner a healthy eater?
- What is your partner’s guilty pleasure?
- How would you describe your partner’s personal style?
- Does your partner like their job?
- Who is your partner’s best friend?
- What does your partner smell like?
- What position does your partner sleep in?
- Does your partner snore?
- Is your partner a morning bird or a night owl?
- How often does your partner drink?
- What is your partner’s drink of choice?
Imagining the Future
- Where would your partner like to be in five years?
- Where is your partner’s dream place to live?
- What does your partner’s dream home look like? Describe it.
- How many children does your partner want?
- What would your partner like to name your children?
- How does your partner want their career to go?
- What would your partner like to do when they retire?
- How does your partner see your lives together as old people?
Celebrating Your Love
- Who said I love you first?
- When did your partner first know they were in love with you?
- When did your partner know you were “the one”?
- What does your partner love most about you?
- What does your partner love most about your relationship?
- What is your partner most looking forward to about being married?
- What is your partner’s pet name for you?
- What everyday thing that you do together is your partner’s favorite?
- How will your partner like to celebrate your future anniversaries?
More Newlywed Game Questions
If there’s a specific question that you’re looking to ask that isn’t listed, add it! The newlywed game is best played with the specific couple in mind. If they are a couple with very specific interests, fine-tune some questions for that as well.
Find other bridal shower games to play with your loved ones!
More Fun Party Ideas
Here at YeahWeddings, we know there are a lot of ways to get a party started. Learn how to throw a wedding after party, find bachelorette party ideas, and figure out everything you need to know about throwing a bachelor party.
This page may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, we'll earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you.